Sunday, September 11, 2011

Quiet the day.

As we start another week, let us first take a moment and reflect on the Gospel today... 


Peter approached Jesus and asked him,
"Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive?As many as seven times?" 
Jesus answered, "I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times." (Mt 18:21-22)





Today, we can see in the Gospel, how Peter asks Jesus about a very concrete theme that is still to be found in the heart of many persons: he asks the question about the limit of forgiveness. The reply is that this limit simply does not exist. " I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times." (Mt 18:22) And to explain this reality, Jesus uses a parable. The king's question centers the theme of the parable: "Weren't you bound to have pity on your companion as I had pity on you?" (Mt 18:33)


Forgiveness is a gift, a grace flowing out of God's love and mercy. For Jesus' forgiveness has no limits, provided repentance is true and sincere. But it requires opening our heart to conversion, that is, do with others as God requests us to.


As St. Thomas Aquinas explains, "Man becomes God's debtor in two ways; first, by reason of favors received, secondly, by reason of sin committed: and just as thanksgiving or worship or the like regard the debt for favors received, so satisfaction regards the debt for sin committed." 


Have a blessed and peaceful Sunday everyone!


Please visit evangeli.net for daily reflections on the Gospel.

3 comments:

  1. I will drop by this site, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very inspiring, thanks francis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a very inspiring post. I'm a new follower and I would like to find a nest of people who do blog shamelessly about God's word.

    And speaking of shameless, I'll plug my blog, and the latest entry that I have about our Sunday school teaching.

    We Are Lucky

    thanks Francis, I hope you could drop by my page, too. God bless you. :)

    ReplyDelete